Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Vintage Wedding Dresses for the Offbeat Bride

When I’m not running La Poubelle Vintage, I work as a freelance fashion writer and I just finished up a story for Time Out New York magazine about the best wedding dress shops in the city. Being 25, single, and with no real desire to get married in the near future, wedding dresses have never been of particular interest to me, but while researching this story, I learned a lot. For one, I noticed how generally boring wedding dresses can be. Save for a few amazing shops that I visited (like Lovely and Gabriella) that carry some really beautiful and non-traditional dresses, a lot of what you find in stores these days are your typical strapless, princess cut gowns that are so staid feeling to me. Personally, I love the idea of finding something totally unexpected for the big day, be it short, on the casual side or a color other than white. Here are some dresses that I found on Etsy that would be great for the eclectic bride. If you're looking for more wedding inspiration, the blog Style Me Pretty has some really beautiful photography and wedding ideas.

For the Flapper Bride

My chin literally dropped to the floor when I came across this ‘20s Art Deco cotton lace gown. With finger waves and red lipstick this dress would be amazing.


For An English Garden-Style Wedding
This ‘50s allover lace dress screams English garden wedding with lots of tea roses and finger sandwiches. Plus the orange belt adds a cute pop of color!



For a Country Bride
A barn wedding complete with mason jars chandeliers and line dancing and would be a perfect match for this casual Edwardian eyelet dress. Pair it with cowboy boots and some turquoise jewelry for a real country touch.



For an Evening Wedding
I could see this ‘60s number being worn (without the matching top) for an evening reception filled with LOTS of dancing and Champagne! I also love that it’s a pale pink instead of the traditional white.



For An Elegant Affair
Just because you’re having a more traditional wedding, doesn’t mean that you have to wear a bland wedding dress. This stunning ‘30s chiffon gown would look beautiful walking down the isle of any church around.



For the Beachy Bride
Couldn’t you just see this stunning ‘30s printed dress worn by a bride on the beach with flowing hair and bare feet?


No comments:

Post a Comment