Sunday, June 12, 2011

Grilled PIzza 101

In the summer, grilling is one of my favorite ways to cook food and living in New York without any private outdoor space, it is something that I rarely get to do. I’ve been dying to try to make a grilled pizza so when I was visiting my folks in Maine for Memorial Day, I decided to give it a try. It’s actually very simple and quick to make. Here’s a peek at the process.

Start off with some pizza dough. You can make your own but this was store-bought whole wheat dough. After rolling it out, stretch it out over a hot grill.


After the bottom has some nice grill marks on it and the top is bubbling, use a pair of to take it off the grill.


The toppings you use are up to you but you should keep them pretty light since the dough cooks fast, not leaving much time for the cheese to melt on top. We used some oven-roasted tomatoes, baby arugula and grated fresh mozzarella cheese.


Once you have your toppings on, slide the pizza back onto the grill and cover it up for a few minutes so that the cheese can melt and the toppings can meld together.


Slice and serve! I drizzled mine with a little truffle oil since I’m thoroughly addicted to it and I would drizzle it on just about everything if it didn’t cost $20 a bottle. The slight char on the dough gives this pizza a great summer feeling and it’s really the perfect light summer meal.




No comments:

Post a Comment